Tuesday, April 24, 2012

OK I know I'm a hypocrite

What is a black Scotsman and father of four children living in the South of France doing that might be the least interesting to other people? This is a question I've been asking myself for some time now. Like many people I have the feeling there is a novel in me and in fact I have started 5 over the years. Start being the operative word.

However the thing that's held me back, in respect of telling people about me, as opposed to completing novels (that's just lack of focus, ability..and maybe some other creative deficiencies) is that at the age of recently turned (6 days ago) 49 I have long lost the ego of youth that presumes everyone is interested in what I have to say. Secondly, that the unremarkable daily routine I pursue, would lack sufficient excitement or passing interest to attract anyone to read the inevitable inane babblings that amateurs like me feel justified in inflicting on the cloudesphere readership. Lastly, that since the internet has torn down the ruthless editorial barriers and let the jabbering barbarian masses run amok, I do agree to a large degree with those traditional journalists, that the vast majority of what the masses have to say is just not worth hearing. Ergo it's a bit hypocritical to storm the gates this late...long after the masses have laid waste. A bit like the cowardly kid from the baggage train standing over a fallen guard triumphantly, while the vanguard have had their three days of slaughter and debauchery and have moved on to the next siege.

But I am older now if no wiser, certainly slower. Having given in to the last vestiges of ego and perhaps thinking I might have something worth more than the millisecond glance of most surfers, I thought I would tell you a little about my new "out of the ordinary" occupation as I develop things.

Also, I may have a few insights into family life for ex-pats, who might be interested in finding out warts and all about life down here and can certainly talk about some very interesting wine discoveries. As for that new occupation - I've become a truffle farmer and since I'm quite keen for people to become involved, a blog would seem a good way to spread the word.

Welcome to the Languedoc, Truffles, Wine and rambling (there may be a few rants as well!)

Martin

1 comment:

  1. Can I point out the obvious, Martin, your nose might be big (and black) but it's not sensitive enough to sniff out truffles. On occasions I've heard you referred to as a "pig" and even a "dog" but your olfactory abilities were stunted back in the Beehive days.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete